1) History of Fiat and Paper Money Failures by Mike Hewitt.Has a list of 177 current currencies and when they were started. I count only 16 of these as existing prior to 1900.
It has a list of 609 currencies that no longer circulate and says 153 of these died of hyperinflation.
Looks at Rome, China, France, and Germany. Says China's paper money was called "flying money" was because "because it could just fly from your hands.". To clarify, people would spend hyperinflating paper money as fast as they got it and hold onto silver coins.
3) Fiat Currency: Using the Past to See into the Future by Nick Jones at Daily Reckoning.
4) Fiat Money Inflation in France by Andrew Dickson WhiteFantastic book (free online) with detailed history of a French hyperinflation.
5) 5 Failed Currencies And Why They Crashed by Investopedia
Looks at Germany, Argentina, Zimbabwe, Peru, and Chile.
Referenced but not located studies.
1) " 775 fiat currencies by DollarDaze.org" but the domain dollardaze.org does not work. Wonder if someone has a copy.